Write on Q is an after-school enrichment program for motivated elementary and secondary students. The program was created by a mother for her own children. As a former H.R. Director, she saw first-hand that many qualified people were not hired for management positions due to their lack of effective communication skills. Therefore, she wanted to develop those crucial skills in her own children at an early age to ensure their overall success.
Working with certified teachers at the elementary and secondary level, she created a curriculum that prepares students for academic and professional achievement. Over the years, Write on Q has had hundreds of successful graduates; the testimonials on the website and Google reviews speak for themselves.
Today, just knowing the answer is not enough. A student must be able to clearly explain their ideas in all subjects. Is your child ready?
- language arts classes that enrich the Ontario school curriculum
- 1.5 hours of instruction time per week taught by qualified teachers
- quality homework to reinforce weekly class lessons
- detailed teacher feedback throughout the writing process and on homework
- structured lessons on effective reading comprehension strategies, paragraph writing, advanced vocabulary, grammar, essay writing, media literacy and public speaking skills
- regular presentations to improve confidence, poise, and self-esteem
- low student to teacher ratio
WHY DO SO MANY STUDENTS STRUGGLE?
When writing, some students stare endlessly at blank pages trying to come up with ideas to write about; while others struggle with graphic organizers, not knowing how to sort their information into clear and meaningful arrangements. This can frustrate a student and discourage them from writing. Learning how to note-take, organize information, and follow a structured process will enable them to write well, which in turn will contribute to their overall academic and professional success.
What We Offer:
- qualified and engaging teachers using a proven curriculum
- an opportunity to improve confidence and self-esteem by presenting regularly
- vocabulary builders to enhance fluency and comprehension
- an enriched learning environment for higher academic advancement
MEET OUR TEAM
All of our teachers hold a university degree and a designation in education. In addition, they have passed a rigorous screening process to ensure they possess the attributes of an ideal educator:
- ability to inspire confidence and motivate others
- passionate and creative in their teaching approaches
- committed to excellence and continuous learning
- Our teaching assistants work in collaboration with the Teacher to ensure the classroom experience is optimal. They are passionate about learning and are often aspiring teachers or writers themselves.
Our qualified teaching team sets us apart from other programs. Read the testimonials and Google reviews from parents and students and view the Teachers’ credentials above. See the difference a passionate teacher can make!
Ms. Fatima Ramji personally understood the important role effective writing and public speaking played in an individual’s career. Having spent years hiring and training senior professionals, she knew technical competencies were not always enough to secure management and executive positions. Therefore, in 2011, she started looking for writing programs for her own children. Disappointed with what was available, she started researching and developing a curriculum, which would later become Write on Q. This work was a labour of love for her own children as she wanted them to develop strong language and presentation skills.
What Parents are Saying
As a public school teacher, I understand the challenges of teaching a classroom of diverse learners writing skills beyond that of the “hamburger paragraph”. There are gaps in education where students do not learn the basic structures of writing. The result is students find writing a painful process, with poor outcomes and a stunted development of expression. Write on Q fixes this! Among other things, the program involves both the writing and editing processes and students receive meaningful FEEDBACK that guides their learning. Understanding the structure of how to write gives students the ability to develop their own style and voice, facilitates critical thinking but more importantly allows students to express themselves with accuracy and precision.Shemin Jaffer IB Teacher